Self Prescribed Digital Detox

digital detox

Hi fellow bloggers and followers, I hope you are all doing well and looking forward to the weekend.  With the last few weeks being particularly chaotic, I have found myself falling behind with my posts, replying to people etc and I have decided that I am in serious need of a digital detox.

Its going to be a challenge but I think I can do it.  I have become increasingly busy with both real life and online commitments and something just has to give.  Given that I can’t really switch off from real life, I have decided I am going to switch off from my online life in the hopes that it will all still be there when I come back.

So what does a digital detox involve?  For me, it is going to involve staying off my phone apps and also my laptop.  So that means no WordPress, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram etc, NO social media.  It is going to be a real test on my willpower but luckily I like a challenge so I will do my very best.

What do I hope to achieve by staying off line? Well I am hoping that I can become more mindful again and set my mind on one thing at a time.  I am usually doing about 5 things at once and while doing these 5 things, I usually manage to pick up my phone a few times too.  I want to be able to get back to doing one thing at a time.

For example, having my breakfast at the table with no phone in hand plus radio in background.  I want to truly connect with that one thing I am doing and really be able to taste that food.  I feel like I am on auto pilot all the time and because of this my memory isn’t too sharp either.  I have been running up the stairs a lot these days only to forget why I was going up in the first place, does that ring a bell anyone?  This is the product of a busy, stressed out existence.

During my internet vacation, I am also going to evaluate whether I really need to be so involved in social media.  I am going to get out of the house more, read more, be more present for my son and try to bring meditation back into my life.  I am also going to write down every day how I am feeling and note changes in my mood and stress levels.

I am really serious about this.  Since phones evolved to have the internet, they have become such an interfering force in our lives, always demanding our attention and alerting us to something that needs to be read and tended to.  They prevent us from fully connecting with the world because lets face it, they are like a drug, so utterly captivating and addictive.  I will not be a slave to my phone anymore and its time I faced the fact that my iphone and I have a co-dependent relationship.  This has got to stop.

So as of Monday 30th November I am taking a 10 day break from all my online commitments and phone apps.  I will not be active on WordPress nor will I have any scheduled posts.  I am both excited and nervous about this but feel it will be hugely benificial for both myself and my family.

Does anyone else find that combining real life with the online world can be overwhelming at times?  How do you deal with this?  I would love to hear if anyone has embarked on a digital detox similar to the one I am doing and if so, how did you get on?

Have a great weekend guys, wish me luck !!!

♥ ♥ ♥

Advertisements

19 thoughts on “Self Prescribed Digital Detox

1. Simon says:

Hi Nicola, I feel the same and I can fully understand how you feel. It often gets on my nerves about how much time I can spend on social media. BUT I have also found benefits in writing, so I can’t completely give it up.

Liked by 1 person

2. Melanie Noell Bernard says:

This is both sad and fantastic! I completely understand how you feel, wanting a few days away, feeling like I’m constantly checking, and even then I feel as though I’m falling behind. Blogging is time-consuming. Not just the posts we make, but the posts we must read and comment on to stay active and part of the Blogosphere, and to show others that we care about what they post as much as they care about what we post. It is truly exhausting. I know the feeling all too well.

It’s fantastic because you are taking that step to push back. It’s difficult to break ourselves away from technology. It’s such a integral part of who we are nowadays and that’s a scary fact indeed. I commend you for taking this step.

You will be missed for those ten days and I will miss your comments and our conversations. However, I understand. Please take all the time you need to reorganize yourself and I look forward to your return (should you decide to. ^.^)

Liked by 1 person

• Nicola | Rust and Stardust says:

Thank you so much Melanie, what a lovely supportive comment. It really warmed my heart, thank you!

I have been trying to phase out my apps over the last few days so that its not such a shock to the system tomorrow. It seems to be working.

What I am looking forward to the most is reading. I was reading a book a fortnight before blogging but I am barely reading one a month now and that worries me because reading is my therapy. Its so relaxing 🙂

So I’m feeling positive and hopefully I will decide to stick with blogging. I do really enjoy it because of the lovely people like you that I have met along the way.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. I hope you had a lovely and peaceful thanksgiving and belated Happy Birthday xx

Liked by 1 person

• Melanie Noell Bernard says:

Oh! Good choice weaning yourself off. I’m not sure what I’d do if I had to just cut it all out cold turkey! 0.0 Though, I suppose I don’t really use social media that much. I would just feel bad about not blogging… :/
        Reading is definitely something that I miss out on because of all the blogging I have been doing lately. I’ve only read like… two books this mont and that makes me super sad. 😦
        Even if you don’t come to blogging, we should definitely keep in touch! I love chatting with you and seeing all the gorgeous pictures you post. ^.^
        And thank you! Happy belated Thanksgiving! (Wait… I thought you lived in the UK… o.0)

Liked by 1 person

• Nicola | Rust and Stardust says:

We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in Ireland but I commented on your Thanksgiving post the other day so saw that you celebrate it. Are you in America?

Don’t worry, I don’t think I will be giving up on blogging just yet. I just have to re-evaluate the amount of time I put into it so I don’t burn out. Are you on Instagram at all? Thats where I put all my pictures first before they ever see the light of day on my blog !!! But thankyou, your lovely comment brought a smile to my face, I love our chats too xx

Liked by 1 person

• Melanie Noell Bernard says:

Oh dear! I never saw your comment! How terrible of me!
        Yes, I live in America and I do celebrate Thanksgiving. ^.^ One of my favorite holidays.
        Ah! Yes, I know the feeling: determining how much time to devote to a blog. I know that all too well.
        I’m not on Instagram. I don’t get much into the picture apps and social media sites (I don’t take many pics).
        I love our chats, too.

Liked by 1 person

3. Zin says:

Take your time, Nicola! I think it’s very brave of you to take such a decision, I can’t wait for you to update us on how the experience was for you. Have a great time!
    Lots of love. 💙

Liked by 1 person

4. Bookish with Me says:

I absolutely understand where you are coming from! Multitasking can take the richness out of our experiences, particularly with social media’s involvement. All the best with your break! I hope you find the peace and happiness you are after. I know I’ll be ready and waiting for your return to this blog.

Liked by 1 person

• Nicola | Rust and Stardust says:

Thanks so much Kate, you worded it perfectly. Multitasking does indeed take the richness out of our experiences and I definitely did see a benefit in detaching from the internet for a while. Thanks for your encouragement and I hope you are well and enjoying your new venture into the blogging world xx